5 lb. Mint Crystal Oxidation Glaze Cone 7-8 (dry material)
Description: One of the easiest crystal glazes to use. Food safe as long as it isn't crazed on your clay body. Set the kiln for cone 7 with a 5 to 10 minute soak. Shown on porcelain.
Mixing and Application: Add water and hydrate to 40 on your hydrometer. This can be dipped or sprayed. And, only screen through a 60 mesh once. Dip for a count of 4.
Important info about Firing: After your glazes are dried out you'll want to fire on a Fast Glaze Program. Be sure to have a self-supporting cone 8 in the peep. We recommend cone 8 bending. Remember to test before applying any unfamiliar slip or glaze on more important work.
Important Info: Ways to have success with these fast-fire crystal glazes:
1) Porcelain works the best. Also works on some bmix and stonewares. We bisque porcelain to cone 08.
2) Use a hydrometer to get these glazes thinned to 40 on the hydrometer.
3) Use a 60 mesh bowl screen to screen them once.
5) When loading your electric kiln remember to space your work apart slightly so the heat can reach the center of the kiln. (notice I always place cookies under my tests to make sure I don't mess up my kiln shelves. Once I know a glaze better I know if I can fire without placing them onto cookies).
6) Cool normally. You just don't want to thermal shock your wares.
Images: include the cone 7-8 mint crystal glaze on porcelain. Along with a test tile of the cone 7-8 Midnight Crystal Glaze.